Welcome to my jaded world of work, office and the corporate world. Having spent the past 16 years working in manufacturing for a large company, I worked my way up through the ranks to the "semi-executive" plateau where the grass is not really greener (okay, the money is), but just has a whole bunch of weird shades. Everyone talks differently and eventually you get sucked into the world of Corporate-speak and think. Well, "Work Redefined" is my outlet.I find myself sitting on conference calls or in meetings and can't help but turn terms and phrases into something much more entertaining; entertaining for myself and hopefully for others who have the same reservations and/or disgust for what they hear on a daily basis. It kind of resembles thoughts from Dilbert and The Office, but my own personal twist.Yes, I'm part of the evil, but I keep pushing against it in an effort to not become fully absorbed in it all. I've put some of my thoughts on shirts, hats and things that you can see on Cafe Press under Work Redefined. I'll post some of the tantalizing tidbits on my blog for your pleasure, pain or entertainment.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Buzzword Bingo

Need something to do while the meeting's going on? What about when a call is going on and you have it on mute? You do have it on mute, right? Okay, even if you don't have it on mute you can play. You can play while sitting in a presentation, just make sure not to stand up and yell "bingo" or you'll give it all way.
So, here are some of the terms I used, I'm sure they're some of your favorites. "Downsize" is always a party favorite. Ooooo, how about "Open Door Policy?" Another party picker-upper.
If the game doesn't work for you, try saying a sentence with as many of the terms as you can. Well folks, first we're going to audit your realignment with the current stakeholders to see if we can establish synergy in a cohesive, team building, innovative business plan while streamlining and sharing best practices into our global portfolio. Do I know what that means? I'm really thinking that is the point. Dang, I really sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Buzzword Bingo is a great place to kick off the fun wile away the hours instead of doing something that really needs to be getting done.

No comments: